Msgr. Robinson Council #8279 was the brainchild of Joseph M. Meier who served as Grand Knight Elect from December 1982 until June 1983 and as Grand Knight from June 1983 until June 1984. The charter was received on January 24, 1983 with 50 members. The first officers were installed on Saturday June 11, 1983 at the 7:30 p.m. Mass, officiated by the Most Reverend Bishop James P. Mahoney, and officers were installed by Edward P. Werbicki, then District Deputy.
A project in 1983 was a Car Raffle, proceeds going to the St. Patrick's Youth Crisis Home.
In 1984 a project of a Cash Lotto was held, with proceeds again going to the St. Patrick's Youth Crisis Home. both projects were initiated by chaplain Rev. Bill Lafreniere.
In 1988, a second council was formed from council 8279 - council 9690 which was based in Martensville.
In August, 1993, our council provided bus transportation for 43 youth and chaperones to attend World Youth Day 1993 in Denver with Pope John Paul II.
Each year our council distributes about $40,000 to worthy charities throughout the city.
We formed a third council at St. Peter the Apostle Parish and the charter night and installation of officers for council 12156 was May 22, 1998.
In 2000, plans were made to construct an outside sign for St. Patrick's Parish. This was accomplished as part of our millennium project and was installed in 2001.
In 2001, our council replaced the carpet in the foyer of St. Patrick's Parish prior to the new bishop, Bishop Albert LeGatt, being ordained.
In 2003, our council paid for replacement of the main entrance doors for St. Patrick's Parish.
Who was Msgr. John S. Robinson?
Right Reverend Monsignor John Sylvester Robinson
- Born in St. John, New Brunswick, June 24, 1916.
- Studied for the priesthood at St. Peter’s Seminary, London, Ontario.
- Ordained to the priesthood in London, Ontario, May 30, 1942.
- Came to the diocese of Saskatoon with Bishop Pocock in 1944.
- Named Vicar General of the diocese in September, 1964.
- Appointed Prelate by Pope Paul VI, October 7, 1964 and was invested in St. Paul’s Cathedral, January 13, 1965.
- He built the present St. Michael’s Church where he was pastor from 1952 until 1961.
- He was rector of St. Paul’s Cathedral for two terms and pastor at St. Philip’s and Holy Spirit Parishes.
- He served the diocese in many capacities – just to name a few – Diocesan Consultor, Diocesan Director of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, Diocesan Director of the Holy Childhood, chairman of the St. Joseph’s Mutual Aid Society, chairman of the Senate of Priests.
- Since coming to the city in 1944, he involved himself in recreation through baseball, hockey and Sea Cadet sailing – he never failed to serve Saskatoon whenever his work as a priest permitted. He was always found to be a warm friend to the many religious Orders of Sisters in the diocese and to all his brother priests.
- Died April 4, 1979, St. Paul’s Hospital, 9:10 a.m.
- Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Saskatoon.