The Saint Maximilian Kolbe Council was founded in the cellar of St. Anne's church in 1985. Today we have 110 members, raising thousands of dollars a year to support our charitable causes. The Knights are involved in all our ministries and all aspects of our weekend Masses from making coffee to singing in the choir. Currently, we have 8 knights on the parish council and 4 on the finance committee. Even if you give just a few hours of your time during the year, we would love to have you join us. Applications are available at the back of the church or downstairs in the church hall on the Knights bulletin board.
The history of Saint Maximilian Kolbe - Prisoner #16670
Maximilian Kolbe was born on 8 January 1894 in Zduńska Wola, in the Kingdom of Poland, which was a part of the Russian Empire, the second son of weaver Julius Kolbe and midwife Maria Dąbrowska. His father was an ethnic German and his mother was Polish. He had four brothers. Shortly after his birth, his family moved to Pabianice Kolbe's life was strongly influenced in 1906 by a childhood vision of the Virgin Mary.
Historical sketch of Saint Anne's Catholic Parish
Prior to 1893, people of the catholic faith had to travel to either Haverhill, MA or to Derry, NH to attend mass. In that year Holy Angels Roman Catholic Church was built at the old intersection of Route 125 and East Road in Plaistow. Mrs. Daniel Emerson of Hampstead gave the bell for that church. That bell now hangs in front of our beloved Hampstead Parish, over a century later.
In the early 1960’s, a new Holy Angels Church was built, again in Plaistow, but this time on Route 121, just south of Atkinson, NH. Due to the growth of the Catholic community in not just Hampstead, but the surrounding towns, it was deemed necessary to build a church elsewhere to relieve the overcrowding at Holy Angels, as well as St. Thomas of Aquinas church in Derry, NH. Therefore St. Anne’s Parish was founded in 1966 as a mission to Holy Angels Parish in Plaistow, NH.
Construction began in 1965 on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Dana and Ann Stratton. Bishop Ernest J. Primeau of Manchester, NH dedicated it on September 11, 1966. The name commemorating the patron Saint and holy mother of Mary, ever virgin, as well as the benefactor, according to town historians.
In 1979, Bishop Odore J. Gendron established Saint Anne’s Catholic Parish in Hampstead, NH as “an independent and canonical Parish”. Rev. Paul W. Daneault was installed as the first and founding pastor on June 28th, 1979, and served until 1982. From 1982 to 1998, Rev. Florent R Bilodeau served as the appointed pastor.
In the early 1990’s as the church community grew, so did its needs for fellowship and teaching, so monies were raised for the addition, which doubled the facility in size and was completed in 1996. In 1998, Rev. Frederick J. Pennett was appointed pastor and served until June of 2010 when Rev Steven G. Montesanti assumed the responsibility. On January 22, 2014, Very Rev. Marc R. Gagne, V.F. became the current pastor of St Anne Parish and the parish community.
We are the total sum of the efforts, beliefs and living faith that each person who has called Saint Anne home has passed onto us. The true identity of Saint Anne Parish is not its campus, buildings or even the materials from which they were built. The true identity of St Anne Parish is the Body of Christ that gathers every week. It is the people who create its life and energy, offer its expressions of faith and who serve to live out the Gospel mission given to us by Christ. We are a parish community that has grown to approximately 3,000 families.